Linked Helper is now able to scrape messaging history and export it into a CSV file / send to a webhook. This functionality is a bit obscure as it is not implemented as a separate action but rather integrated with already existing ones. In this article, we`ll review this new feature for you to have a better understanding of how it works and how to use its full potential.
- Scraping messaging history
- What Linked Helper actions can scrape messaging history?
- How to start scraping messages into Linked Helper?
- How can I scrape messaging history of a profile to whom I`ve never sent a message via Linked Helper?
- How can I scrape messaging history of a profile that was already processed by an older Linked Helper version?
- What chats can be scraped?
- Can Linked Helper scrape and save attachments?
- Viewing chat history (sent messages and replies)
- Exporting sent messages / replies or full chat history
Scraping messaging history
What Linked Helper actions can scrape messaging history?
How to start scraping messages into Linked Helper?
There is no specific button that initiates the process, messaging history is automatically scraped either from the Basic / Premium LinkedIn or from Sales Navigator inbox when Linked Helper is about to send a message or when it's checking for replies.
Please note that:
- scraping works only for Basic / Premium LinkedIn and Sales Navigator inboxes, scraping for Recruiter or Talent is not implemented yet;
- Linked Helper scrapes chat (-s) only from the platform on which a profile is being processed, it doesn't check all of them when sending a message or looking for a reply;
- scraping works only on version #1.11.1 or above; in other words, if your Linked Helper version is below #1.11.1 or a profile was last time processed by such a version last time, then messages will not be scraped. Please check below for the workaround.
How can I scrape messaging history of a profile I never sent a message to via Linked Helper?
Unfortunately, there is no other way apart from sending him/her a short casual message in order to initiate automatic scraping.
If you don't want to send any messages, you can leave a message template empty, so Linked Helper will visit the profile, scrape messaging history, and move it to the Failed list with the "Empty message was generated" error without sending a message.
How can I scrape messaging history of a profile to whom I`ve never sent a message via Linked Helper?
As it was mentioned above, if a profile was processed by Linked Helper version #1.11.0 or below, then messaging history will not be scraped. There are two workarounds though:
1. Retry it in Check for replies action:
- Locate the lowest Check for replies action in the Workflow of your campaign by which the profile was processed.
- Find the profile either in the Replied or Successful list of the Action.
- Select it and click "Retry".
- Linked Helper will check for replies once again and scrape the messages.
Since the profile has already been processed by the action below (or it`s currently in its Queue), it won't be processed twice by the lower action – no need to worry.
Another way is to send a short casual message to the profile in order to initiate automatic scraping. If you don't want to send any messages, you can leave a message template empty, so Linked Helper will visit the profile, scrape messaging history, and move it to the Failed list with the "Empty message was generated" error without sending a message.
What chats can be scraped?
Note: Linked Helper cannot scrape chats with three or more participants.
By default, Linked Helper scrapes only the current chat with the profile. All chats with a profile (except those mentioned above) can be scraped if the following conditions are met:
- the profile is being processed by Message to 1st connections | Group members action;
- chat with the profile is visible in the LinkedIn messaging popup as it is shown on the screenshot below.
Hint: if you want to get all chats scraped from the current platform, you can send two messages in a row without any delay between actions, so that the first one will make the chat with the person visible in the LinkedIn messaging popup as it is shown in the screenshot above.
Can Linked Helper scrape and save attachments?
No, attachments cannot be scraped and saved, but Linked Helper detects them and mentions the fact of the attachment being sent or received:
If you sent an invitation to connect without an invitation message, then Linked Helper will indicate it as an empty message with zero attachments:
Viewing chat history (sent messages and replies)
Where can I check sent/replied messages of a certain campaign?
Each reply to a certain message is displayed under the profile's name in the Replied list of the Linked Helper Action / Campaign. Just go to the campaign's Workflow, find the needed Action, click the Replied list of the Check for replies or Message to 1st connections | Group members action and check the responses:
The same applies to Invite 2nd and 3rd level contacts action:
Where can I find the full messaging history?
Your full messaging history of every scraped chat with a profile can be found in their profile's CRM card:
There can be several chats with one person:
Exporting sent messages / replies or full chat history
How can I export full messaging history into a CSV file?
You can export full messaging history (provided that it was scraped by Linked Helper) when downloading the profile from CRM, or any campaign / action list, just enable the option highlighted in the screenshot below:
How can I export campaign messaging history into a CSV?
You can export campaign messaging history (provided that it was scraped by Linked Helper) only when downloading the profile from any list of the Campaign or from any Linked Helper Action inside this Campaign:
- Select from where you want to download profiles from (lists of the campaign or certain action within it - you can check from where you can download profiles here):
- Manually select profiles that you want to download by clicking on the checkboxes near their names or press “Select all":
- Select needed delimiter, what message history you want to download (you can download full messaging history at this step as well), and click on "Download":
Please note that:
- You cannot export campaign messaging history when downloading profiles from CRM, this option works only when downloading from within a campaign.
- Campaign message history always starts with the message sent by Linked Helper (all previous messages are not included) and ends with the last message sent by any participant at the moment of scraping.
- The message that starts the campaign history must be sent by Linked Helper version #1.11.1 or above, otherwise, such message won't be detected as part of the campaign messaging history and hence won't be included in it. Here is the example: you sent three follow-up messages to a profile, the first one was sent via version #1.11.0, the second - via #1.11.1, and the third - 1.11.5. In this case, Linked Helper will include all messages starting from the second follow-up, the first follow-up won't be included as it was sent via version lower than #1.11.1
CSV file column headers explained
At the end of your CSV, you can find the columns associated with messaging history, which also can be sent to the webhook. So it is important to understand what each column brings in order to implement integrations via webhook or upload CSV into other CRM in a correct way.
- "full_messaging_history" - in this column you can see the whole messaging history with this profile, including manual messages. It may contain several chats if you had more than one with that person:
- "campaign_messaging_history" - in this column you can find the messaging history of a certain campaign you exported profile(s) from:
You probably already noticed the difference in layout between the full and the campaign messaging history. That's because in the former case Convert multi-line values into single line: option was switched to No, and in the latter case it was switched to Yes before downloading:
- "last_sent_message_from", "last_sent_message_text" and "last_sent_message_send_at" are columns that define name of the profile from whom you received last message and when you received that message:
- "last_received_message_from", "last_received_message_text" and "last_received_message_send_at" are columns that define the last message that you sent to a profile:
- add_to_target_date denotes the time when the profile was added to the Queue of the Action from where you downloaded the profile (or if you download profiles from CRM, the time when the profile was added to its first campaign); result_created_at shows the time when the profile was processed, i.e. got into Processed list;
- message_1_from, message_1_text, and message_1_send_at are columns that define the message sent by the action from which you downloaded the profile:
- replied_message_1_from, replied_message_1_text, replied_message_1_send_at are columns that define the message received from which you downloaded the profile:
How to send sent/replied messages or full/campaign history to webhook?
All the columns that were reviewed in the section above (please read it if you haven't had a chance yet as it will help you a lot) can be sent to the webhook as well, so you can add a Send person to webhook action into your campaign and send there what you need.
If you want to send full messaging history to webhook, just make sure that:
- messaging history is scraped (check how to do that here and here) before the profile is sent to a webhook;
- this option is enabled in the Send person to webhook action:
If you want to send campaign messaging history to webhook, just make sure that:
- you send profiles to webhook from the campaign which messaging history you want to export;
- messaging history is scraped (check how to do that here and here) before the profile is sent to the webhook;
- the option of exporting campaign messaging history is enabled in the Send person to webhook action:
Please note that you can enable both options at the same time to send full and campaign messaging history at once.
And make sure the "last_sent_message_from", "last_sent_message_text" and "last_sent_message_send_at" columns are received on the other end.
To send a message which a profile received from you, you need to put "Send person to webhook" right after the "Message to 1st connections" or any other messaging action, so you can get the last message sent by you via last_received_message_from, last_received_message_text, and last_received_message_send_at field: